Today, i’m going to talk about something that is one of the most important skills any person can have yet so few people have mastered.
Time management is one of the least-mastered and most-desired skills in our fast-paced modern world. Time management truly is critical to becoming successful, doing everything you want to and achieving the ultimate success.
So, what do you need to do NOW to DOUBLE your time management ability?
1) Eliminate Time Wasters In Your Life! One form of time wasters are things that interrupt you and you spend time doing, but you wouldn’t have chosen to do them given the choice.
• Email — If you’re spending more than 30 minutes per day on email (unless that is your business) you are spending WAY too much time!
• Telephone — If you answer the phone more than 5 times per day during your productive time (work, work at home, etc.) you are sacrificing time management and efficiency. When you answer the phone, you interrupt your current productive flow and this kills your productivity.
• Television — This must be limited for you to achieve ultimate control over your time. My recommendation is 30 minutes per day, especially if you are not getting all the things done you need or want to.
Another MAJOR form of time wasting is spending valuable time with people who add nothing positive to your life.
You know the kind of people i’m talking about, those who spend their days whingeing, moaning and complaining about anything and everything in their lives. How hard done by they are in life and how everyone who is successful just got lucky. These kind of people will you hold you back in life MORE than anything else you ever come across. They are energy vampires who would suck every last breath of life out of you given the chance. NEVER give them that chance!
I’m at a point in my life now that as soon as someone starts to complain about something trivial, i cut them off and either change the subject or just walk away. I haven’t got time to listen to their verbal vomit one second more. PLEASE follow my lead as eliminating these time wasters is critical for successful time management and retaining a positive mindset.
2) Make A List Of What Is Genuinely Important In Your Life And DO ONLY THOSE THINGS! One of the keys to time management is prioritization. You absolutely must know what you want to accomplish and then go and do it. Today’s world has too many distractions and when you allow those distractions to become your priority, you sacrifice time management.
Follow these steps:
• Make of list of what you want to accomplish
• Set time frames for accomplishing each item
• Organize each item in order of importance
• Create a game plan for achieving each of your goals in its respective time frame
3) Focus On Time Management Throughout The Course Of The Day. Your consistent focus must be on managing your time. Once you have determined your goals and priorities, start focusing on simply getting those things done. If something isn’t on your goals list for this week, DON’T DO IT until all your goals are done. When you prioritise every interruption that occurs and put your goals last, you will not accomplish your goals. Instead, you will be a slave (as you probably are now) to interruptions and probably feel like you never accomplish enough.
I hope you now realize just how important discipline is when it comes to time management. It is one of, if not THE most important thing to learn if you want to achieve the success or have the life you desire.
Till next time…